Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Conditioning of the mind

My cousin just complained that she suspected my nephew is colour blind. However it is my belief that we can be conditioned to colour identifying but of course when it comes to those colour blind test, if you can't see it, you can't it.

But for normal everyday items like trees for example, since young, parents will tell you that the trunk colour is called brown and the leaves are called green. Everyday you see the tree, you will tell yourself that the trunk is brown and the leaves are green and you repeat this for the rest of your life and that's the colour that's stuck with you. However, it still but remains as a naming convention to the colour that you see. There is no way to ascertain that the same green that you and I see, is the same green that reflects in our brain. If I don't call the "colour" that I see the leaves as green and decides to call it black, and if everyone around also calls that "colour" - black, then that "colour" will then be associated with this name called "black". Therefore, it's just a matter of naming it.

The brain is indeed a formidable processing unit, I still remember my cognitive professor's lecture on how the brain identifies things. It's like when we see the alphabet "A", whether it's in red, blue, green, yellow, tall, fat, short, capital or small letters, font 12, font 22, arial, times new roman etc, we all know that it's the alphabet "A". We will not call it a different alphabet.

Ahhhh.... brings me back to my psychology lessons! Maybe I should go back and study again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want people's mind to be conditioned into thinking that being fat is divine beauty. The skinnies are divine ugly.

Fat is beautiful, skinny is ugly...muwahahahha....lets change it for once

meow

moi said...

i don't mind man.... fat is so much easier than skinny