Saturday, May 07, 2011

One more day

Yesterday marked the end of a week-long rally.

I remember when I was young, my grandpa brought me and my very young cousin whom my grandma was looking after at that time, to a rally at Marine Parade. An old man and 2 young kids. It was held somewhere between blocks of flats and the crowd spilled over to the carpark. That was my first rally in my earliest recollection.

Fast forward to this year, it marks a bumper crop of rally I attended. This GE in total I attended 4 rallies, excluding the one that I didn't catch any speech. This GE will be an exceptional one as I have not remembered people ever turning up in such scale for opposition rallies. This shows something, the ground is very unhappy with the incumbent party. Be it people turn up in genuine interest or carnival fanfare, there's no denial that Singaporeans wish for an alternative voice.

Since my JC days, I knew which side I was going to stand. This year's opposition party definitely have stronger, more credible candidates compared to the pathetic beings that rode on the coattails of those in the incumbent party. I have volunteered as a polling agent to serve my nation, never mind what party I represent as I believe this will be the historical moment and I want to be part of it because I am my country's citizen. I believe every citizen should volunteer for such duties at least once in their lifetime for such a significant event that would determine their next 5 years. This is the kind of experience to share with the next generation in years to come.

Vote wisely.

No comments: